Beginners Guide: Make Your Own Website
Can you make your own website? Well, for most people that don't have the skills of professional site building this question can be pretty intimidating. But actually, all you need to know are the seven fundamental steps to successfully make your own website.
1) Develop a website development plan that is incorporated with your overall marketing processes. This must be constant like the graphics/images consistent with your overall branding, style guide, color use, etc.
2) If you'll make your own website, try not to get too excited with the latest design technology. Meaning, do not bombard it with unnecessary graphics, plug ins, GIF garbage, etc. But, conversely, check your design well as there are already too many crappy sites that turn visitors away. Do not be one of them. Have a decent design.
3) Pay attention to the "loading times," or how long it takes your site to load on various modems and connections. When your web page doesn't load quickly, then your visitor would lose patience and will click away.
4) Keep it clean and simple. Create a website that is easy on the eyes and is easy to move around in. Keep as much information above the "cutoff point" at the bottom of a monitor. Making people use horizontal scroll bars is not strongly encourage unless absolutely necessary.
5) When you make your own website ensure to develop content that is both web-enabled and reader-friendly. Keep your paragraphs short, not more than two to three sentences each. Put in white spaces between your content as it will give your readers' eyes room to breathe.
6) Make sure that your site is optimized for search engines by making out 8-12 keywords that people will use to find your site. These keywords must be integrated in your site content to impel relevancy with search engine bots. Why? It is projected that about 70% of all traffic comes through search engines. So to attract visitors, get lots of links to your site.
7) As you website could be seen across continents, think global in your overall web page design. Loading times are again very important, and do not create content tackling colloquialisms that may not be understood by those who don't speak the same language. If it is possible, make your own web site content available in diverse languages.
-Dream to be able to make your own website someday? Well act now to make that dream a reality. Actually, creating a page online is not that hard to achieve these days. As there are a number of easy to use website builder available online, all you just need is to be familiar with the fundamentals of design, layout and content development.
Published October 13th, 2009